Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Confessions of an Eggplant Lover

Today, Kate and I found an eggplant at the store, she was curious, so we bought it.  She promised to help me cook it.  I love eggplant!  I really love it fried, but tonight I wanted to take a healthier route.  A few weeks ago, we visited my dear friend, Trellis Payne, in Savannah, GA.  She took us to an Italian restaurant called Bella's (www.bellascafe.com), which is fabulous!  I had a grilled eggplant dish that was to die for, I thought I could recreate it tonight...

Instead of grilling the eggplant, I thought I could just pan sear it and then bake it for approximately 30 min. It was pretty hard to cut up, as you can see.  Kate thought that she could have done a much better job... I have to agree.


I layered with spaghetti sauce and cheese.  Now, doesn't this look just fabulous...
I even made a smaller casserole with just eggplant and cheese, because my girls don't like sauce.

Well, I guess you have figured it out by now, this meal was an epic fail.  The girls took one bite and hated it!  I choked down mine thinking it had to be better with the sauce, but I was sadly mistaken.  Trace did eat his portion, but I really think that he is part garbage disposal.  So, friends the lesson for tonight, when trying to introduce your children to a new food, make sure you know how to prepare it! 



2 comments:

  1. Oh, Layne! How could it have been that bad? Atleast you're experimenting! I've never cooked eggplant, but I totally dig it, too! This story totally takes me back to our cooking club days in Dublin. Remember my insanely indelible Paula Deen shrimp butter? Now, THAT was an epic fail! Lol!

    Get your blog on, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trellis! Oh that really was good times with our Dublin Supper Club! I miss you guys so much!! And yes, I do remember how terrible that shrimp butter was! Have you ever mentioned that to Paula?! LOL! Much love!

    ReplyDelete